Itinerary Review - 7 Days in Costa Rica

Hi r/travel,

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Costa Rica in March for about a week and I'd love to get feedback on our itinerary. Here is our high-level plan:

- Arrive in San Jose on March 7th at 1 PM. Renting an AWD SUV for the full week.

- Immediately after getting the rental car, drive to La Fortuna / Arenal Volcano National Park. Spend 2 - 3 full days there doing hikes, zip lining, hot springs, and maybe some ATVing.

-Drive to the west coast to spend 2 - 3 days surfing. We're beginner surfers and are considering Playa Tamarindo, Playa Hermosa, and Samara.

- Last full day drive back to San Jose to catch our 11 AM flight on March 14th.

Some questions:

- I got a good deal on a rental car and enjoy driving (I drove in Nicaragua a few years back and was comfortable driving in the jungle / mountains). Despite this, I've read mixed advice on driving in Costa Rica. Is renting a car really a bad idea?

- Are any of the beach towns I listed good surf spots for beginners? If not, what other spots should we consider?

- Should we try to spend any time at all in San Jose? We could drive back early on the last full day and have some time exploring if so.

​

Thanks for any and all input!



Submitted January 11, 2020 at 05:45PM by TheNylonDon https://ift.tt/2FEakcg

Comments